Electric Vehicle was designed because of Gas Rations during WWII
The "Marketeer Company" was founded by Merle Williams of Long Beach California during World War II. During this period of gas rationing he built a small electric vehicle for his wife to go to the market. As others saw his creation as a solution to their short distance transportation needs too, he received requests to build additional vehicles. He later moved his company to Redlands, California and shortly thereafter added electric invalid vehicles to his line of two wheeled electric bicycles. Vehicles for industrial applications soon followed. In early 1951 the first electric car designed specifically for playing golf was introduced. From this early beginning a full line of industrial vehicles and golf carts evolved. In 1965 Merle and Peggy Williams sold their "Marketeer Company" to Westinghouse.